Friday, March 24, 2006

you know what? I hate spiders. there I said it. Sometimes I AM nature girl, not scared of creepy crawlies or stuff like that, and yes I squawked when I unfolded the local paper yesterday and a huge cockroach fell out, waved its legs at me then proceeded to try and scuttle under the couch thwarted by a panicky woman squawking like a chook and smothering it with a teatowel while too small boys watched first with suprise then enormous amusement. simply, I say SIMPLY because I have visions of those things multiplying like crazy under my couch, in my couch whatever...I don't like cockroaches either, although they squash with a satisfying squish mwah ha ha!

Anyway back to the spider thing, I don't mean those ones that are all lanky legs and funny little body, those daddy longleg ones that starred in Charlottes Web, I like those, they are so Disney you can't help but like them...also because a. they are not hairy and b. they don't do that creepy scuttley run, that makes you think they are going to run up your arm and into your hair, they just droop around with their long legs, sometimes do a neat little spin thing if you knock their web and c. they have all those cute little baby spiders...

No! the last few weeks I keep finding those horrid white tail specimans. They are pretty big too, about the length of the first knuckle of my thumb, and black and mean looking and they scuttle...fast! I read or saw on the discovery channel that they don't spin webs but they hunt and I believe it. also when they are not hunting they hide in your clothes or towels...yuk I hate that element of suprise, thats what made me yell when I found the roach in the paper, not that it was there, I mean if I had seen it or was expecting it I would have thought (in my head not out loud, loudly lol!) ewww look a roach, get rid of it....ooh no it has to wait all still and shiny so when I unfold it its there, absolutely still for a second while my brain registers it then it scuttles , ewwwww!!! thats when I chuck the paper to the floor, hands flapping around and dancing on toes for a sec like a loon before nature girl kicks in and deals with it....only nature girl dosn't deal with black hairy mean spiders. I holler for prince charming, usually at night, usually while he is in his boxer shorts about to get into bed so he has to balance precariously on something and catch them with the tools of his trade, his trusty cup and piece of paper, its such a skilled action, the pounce with the cup and slide of the piece of paper. I catch my breath as the piece of paper appears too flimsy as he flips the cup and paper over with one flick of his wrist before chucking it out the window or the door...you know what I reckon...its the same spider...it just keeps coming back in lol (interesting enough if you throw snails over into your neighbours garden, don't bother they will find their way back to yours, apparently they have a homing instinct! How cool is that homing snails and before you scoff I saw that on a gardening show recently!

So why don't we squash spiders, like we squash cockroaches? I mean we all know the 'if you squash a spider it will rain thing' ,yeah right who cares if it rains, its almost like we treat them with a bit of respect if you know what I mean....interesting.

Its a bit chilly tonight, thats why it made me start writing this little rave about spiders, cause the kids had been playing in the sleeping bags and I usually get cold sat in front of the computer so I thought hey I'll get in a sleeping bag and do my blog and as I climbed in I had this creepy thought, what if there is a white tail hiding at the bottom of the bag!

Sleeping bag shaken and turned inside out, nothing...thank goodness. Prince charming is on the laptop mid racing car game and I doubt he would give up his best time yet to come running to my rescue.

Ok so this month I 've pretty much written scrapbooking off! Its just not a happening thing. I feel all keen in the day but don't have the time, then when night comes and the kiddy winks are in bed, I feel flat as a pancake and avoid it....by sitting here in a sleeping bag rofl! Never mind I'm sure my enthusiasm will return when its ready, it always does and I'll have a bit of a scrapping frenzy and get heaps done...fits and starts thats just the way it is at the moment.

This weekend is going to be pretty busy, Jims parents arrive from the UK next weekend and their is still a room to paint and the garden is still suffering from the effects of the building work and needs sorting...did manage to get those daff bulbs planted though, raided the garage for a pick axe and dug all my holes with it, loooads easier than the plastic trowel lol!

Went to Josephs first school assembly today, sooooo cute to see him walk in with his class. They give out certificates and awards for the week and he got one for having a great first day yesterday!! I was so proud that he went up and got it, he's not one for liking the spotlight, looks like school is working its magic already, his confidence should really improve. I was really impressed by the assembly, the certificates were things like working hard or showing tolerence to peers, showing good work ethics, stuff like that and you good see by the kids faces that they really felt appreciated and important to the school. What really amazed me too was how YOUNG some of the teachers seemed, so fresh faced, wow!! Feeling my age here!!

yawning now, time to put the curlers in and fill the hottie lol, night!
Monique.

2 comments:

Raewyn aka whinney said...

I'm with you on the spiders (and cockroaches) I loathe them both, but panic more when I see a roach than the white tails. go figure.

Raewyn

Roo said...

Spiders don't worry me too much, probably because Jaymin hates them which means I have to deal to any quite often. But roaches yuck! Horrible things.
Cool about Joseph getting a certificate too.
Roo